By Wednesday he was coughing harder, having such a hard time breathing, catching his breath, moaning, and literally groaning. So I called to make an appointment with my pediatrician, Dr. Miles. Apparantly he is out of the office on Wednesdays. His Totally-Awesome-Smartest-Brainiest-Recptionist-Inthewholeentireworld told me to take him to insta-care, no-thank-you-very-much.
So, I made an appointment with my back-up pediatrician, Dr. Cottle. We took him in, they checked his oxygen level. A good reading is 93 or higher. Graysens was bouncing between 90, 91. Dr. Cottle told me just to watch him closely and if he started having a harder time breathing, or was lethargic to take him to the emergency room.
Ok, can I have the magic pill that cures this please? No, there is no cure or anyway to treat the symptoms unless it gets really bad. Hmph.
We made our follow-up appointment with Dr. Miles for Friday at 3:30.
Thursday went ok, he had a high fever of 100, I gave him Motrin, and that seemed to help.
Friday morning he woke up from his morning nap, and was really "lazy". (lethargic) He was coughing tiny raspy coughs and couldn't get enough air in. I called Cameron at work, he told me to call Dr. Miles.
I called and explained the situation. Asked if I could come by to get his oxygen level tested. Dr. Miles Totally-Awesome-Smartest-Brainiest-Recptionist-Inthewholeentireworld told me "No, you must wait until your appointment at 3:30".
What? I hung up on her and called my back-up pediatrician Dr. Cottle. Yes, bring him in right now. Done.
We get to Dr. Cottle's office where they check the oxygen level and Graysen was at 88. Dr. Cottle said, I will call an ambulance for you. You need to get him to Primary Children's right away. I will call Dr. Miles for you as well. We opted out of the ambulance ride, ($$$) and drove up instead.
Dr. Cottle called and spoke with Dr. Miles. He informed Dr. Miles that his very sick patient was heading up to Primarys and that his Totally-Awesome-Smartest-Brainiest-Recptionist-Inthewholeentireworld had told us that we couldn't go in to get Graysen't oxygen tested. I don't know how the rest of that conversation went.
So, up to Primarys we went. When we got there his oxygen level was 83!
:O
So, we got to stay the night. They hooked him up to many wires and monitors. Gave him oxygen. Suctioned out his nose and throat with a super snot sucker and what a world of good that did. They monitored his oxygen level, breaths per minute, heart rate, lungs. Watched his breathing to see how labored it was. They also made sure that he didn't get dehydrated.
They found that he has an ear infection so they treated that.
He received a healing blessing from Daddy with the help of Grandpa Eli. (Thanks Eli!)
They weren't sure if he would get to go home today, they took and exray of his lungs because they could hear more fluid on his left side. They were worried that it might be pnemonia. But Graysen was so happy and so energetic and well, Graysen again! We knew that he was feeling better and had to keep hounding the staff to let us go home. They got the results from the exray and no pnemonia so we got to go home today!
I am so happy that he's feeling good enough to come home. He's still on oxygen, then on Monday we get to go and see Dr. Miles and his Totally-Awesome-Smartest-Brainiest-Recptionist-Inthewholeentireworld! I wonder how this meeting will go.
So, hopefully Graysen's oxygen level is back up and we can take him off of the oxygen. We will keep you posted.
Also, thank you to EVERYONE who has offered us help in whatever way they can! We are so lucky and fortunate to have such great, caring family and friends!
And for anybody that we have been in contact with this past week and have risked passing this contagious viral infection to, I am so sorry if your little ones get it. If I had known the severity of that tiny little cough I never would have brought Graysen out. :(
Graysen and Mommy had a long night.

I'm sooo sleepy but sooo happy.


Finally feeling better and playing with some toys.




Get me outta here!


A clean bill of health! Yay, we get to go home!

9 comments:
Oh what a sweetheart! Poor thing. Hopefully he gets better soon. That's so scary!
Oh so sad to see him in the hospital but I'm so happy he's doing better.
oh that is a scary thing to go thru..im so happy he is better and i would be so mad at that doctors office..that is ridiculous but good thing you had a back up! hope all is well
I can't even imagine how scary that was! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm so glad he's feeling better, he's such a cutie. I'll pray for you guys.
Oh... that is so heart wrenching! It is so hard to have you kid in the hospital. I am glad everything is going better!
How scary! Chloe has had RSV a couple times it's so sad when you feel so helpless. Glad he got to come home hope he gets betterfast
That would be so scary! I'm glad he is doing better!!!! Your family is so cute!
I am so sorry you had to deal with that. But, isn't Primary Children's the best? We had to have our little Mackenzie down there countless times and although it was hard to have her there, at least I knew she was in the best of hands.
Oh! How scary! I'm so glad all turned out well. He is such a cutie! Love his big smiles when he started feeling better.
Post a Comment